[U-Boot-Users] MPC8360 Rev 2 patch?

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Fri Feb 9 23:16:39 CET 2007

Steven,

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 15:53 -0600, Timur Tabi wrote:

> Yes.  The device tree source is in arch/powerpc/boot/dts in the kernel.  You
> compile that with dtc into a dtb, transfer the dtb to U-Boot via tftp, and then
> boot the kernel, passing the dtb as the third parameter.

If you want your board to be self-contained, put the .dtb file in a
flash sector.  I expect this is how most people will use it 'in the
field'.  As Timur alludes to, the boot command is:

If you don't have an initrd, use '-'

If you're still confused I'd be happy to help with the details.

This whole U-boot/device tree/linux process is sorely lacking in
documentation.  The 'booting-without-of.txt' file is nice and all, but
it's jibberish to people who are just starting out.

Having figured this out the hard way, maybe I'll put together a 'for
dummies' document.

regards,
Ben