[U-Boot-Users] AT91 NAND om AT91SAM9260EK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 11 22:10:57 CET 2007

In message <1defaf580702111223v525ad814n763b80a28b7c16c8 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > 1) that I can apply the complete patchset for the at91sam926x and have that
> >     accepted before people start this activity
>
> That's up to Wolfgang I guess. I've already said that I can wait for
> the at91sam926x support to go in before I start modifying the at45
> driver.

Ulf has made it pretty clear that he thinks that I  am  just  a  show
stopper  for  all his efforts, and that I don't have a clue what he's
talking about. It seems I cannot help that, so I keep my  mouth  shut
here.

I promise that we will provide the infrastructure (git repos) for the
custodians as fast as possible. As far as I can see,  at  the  moment
this  affects  only  ARM  boards,  so please run this throught he ARM
custodian then (Peter Pearse). If it's acceptable to him, and  nobody
else complains, I will accept this, too.

> > 2) That people make sure that they do not destroy the U-boot
> >     support for at91 by providing untested patches.
>
> Well, I do agree that submitting totally untested patches is
> unacceptable unless they are clearly marked as such. On the other
> hand, it's also totally unreasonable to demand that people submitting
> patches test them on boards they don't have.

It's unreasonable, and impossible.

We have a pretty big selection of boards in our lab, but nevertheless
I've never been able to test any  change  on  all  architectures  and
boards. And nobody else will ever do that.

> If someone submits a patch that's not fully tested, we'll just have to
> test it before it enters mainline. It's really that simple.

And actually in some cases we  will  simply  have  to  push  it  into
mainline - in the past, there has often been very little of even zero
feedback  for patches or test branches. Some people simply don't wake
up before their board does not compile any more in the standard tree.
I cannot help this, and we will definitely not wait to see an ACK for
each and every board that is listed in the U-Boot tree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Conceptual integrity in turn dictates that the  design  must  proceed
from  one  mind,  or  from  a  very small number of agreeing resonant
minds.               - Frederick Brooks Jr., "The Mythical Man Month"