[U-Boot-Users] problems using TSEC Ethernet without CONFIG_NET_MULTI

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Feb 14 20:46:16 CET 2007

Michael,

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 15:13 +0200, Michael wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have a question on using TSEC Ethernet on a board with a MPC8541.
> I don't use CPM2 and FCC.
> I use only one TSEC for management.
> Since I only enable one TSEC, I #undef-ed the CONFIG_NET_MULTI flag.
> But then I couldn't use all the functions under eth.c, since its all under
> #if (CONFIG_COMMANDS & CFG_CMD_NET) && defined(CONFIG_NET_MULTI).
> What is the justification for CONFIG_NET_MULTI there?
> Should I just remove it, or I am supposed to have some other
> replacement for the Ethernet access that I miss?
>
> Thanks a lot.

You're right - the TSEC driver won't work without enabling
CONFIG_NET_MULTI.  The purpose of this configuration option is to
automatically cycle through the available Ethernet devices when
attempting a network connection, moving on when a device's link is down.
I imagine the person who wrote the tsec didn't imagine the case where
someone would only want to use one device.

I intend to clean up the eth.c file some time soon because as you can
see it's a big mess of #ifdefs.

Enabling CONFIG_NET_MULTI shouldn't cause you any problems.  Just go
ahead and do that, but only define the appropriate CONFIG_MPC85XX_TSEC?
flags.

If this isn't clear, just let me know.

regards,
Ben