[U-Boot-Users] 0x40000 vs 0x40004

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 16 01:50:47 CET 2007

In message <9F3F0A752CAEBE4FA7E906CC2FBFF57C06A159 at MERCURY.inside.istor.com> you wrote:
> I have a friend with a test program that used to be in ppcboot and is
> now moving to uboot. With some compilations on some computers he gets
> his /examples/hello_world starting at 0x40000 and on others it starts at
> 0x40004.
>
> The first 4 bytes appear to be a magic number which is either 0x18220 or
> 0x18300 depending on ppcboot or uboot and old or newer toolchain.
>
> The question is:
>
> "What file controls the addition (or deletion) of this 4 byte magic
> number at the beginning of "hello_world?"

This is not a magic number, and you should RTFM before posting,
especially
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/MyStandaloneProgramDoesNotWork

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The word "fit", as I understand it, means "appropriate to a purpose",
and I would say the body of the Dean is supremely appropriate to  the
purpose of sitting around all day and eating big heavy meals.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_