[U-Boot-Users] RFC: extended image formats

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 27 23:29:12 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what could be done to add (at least in some
cases) more information to U-Boot images.

In this case, the existing CRC32 checksum is not sufficient;
therequirement is to use some stronger hashes (md5 or sha1) to verify
the correctness of the kernel and file system images.

A similar thing happened not so long ago when we discussed how to add
the OFT blob.

Here some thoughts:

* The original 64 byte header is tabu and cannot be changed to provide
  compatibility to existing versions.

* A quick & dirty hack could use a multi-file image to add - for
  example - the SHA1 checksum as separate image in addition to the
  kernel (and eventually file system) image(s).

  Add an OFT blob, and the confusion is perfect.

Seems we need a more structured approach.

I would like to use this opportunity to collect ideas and suggestions
for a more generalized  solution  that  is  flexible  and  extensible
enough to handle not only the current , but also future requirements.
At least some of them ;-)

All input welcome...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Don't have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.