[U-Boot-Users] Question about U-Boot in general and the AT91RM9200 in particular

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 4 01:05:25 CET 2007

In message <200701031949.26084.javierruere at apexar.com> you wrote:

> 	For what I gather from the instructions from Atmel, there is always a
> bootloader before U-Boot, loading it from the dataflash, serial port or Flash

No, this is NOT correct. If you have NOR flash on your  board  (which
we  consider a standard configuration) then U-Boot can boot directly,
without a primary bootstrap loader. This is the mode of operation you
want to have if your task is to get new hardware running.

> 	Would it work to put an uncompressed image of U-Boot at the beginning of the
> flash memory and let it initialize the board if I don't add the define I
> mentioned before?

If "flash memory" means NOR flash, then yes,  this  will  work  fine.
Actually this is the recommended (by me) mode of operation.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"An organization dries up if you don't challenge it with growth."
       - Mark Shepherd, former President and CEO of Texas Instruments