[U-Boot-Users] Using DNS for serverip parameter

avishai avishaih at mangodsp.com
Wed Jan 10 17:09:34 CET 2007

Hello all,
I've been looking in the web all day for this, still no answer ...
I want to set the 'serverip' kernel command-line parameter to be of the form
'MyLinux' instead of the usual 192.168.x.x form. How do I go about that? In the
u-boot environment I set the dnsip variable properly, and currently my bootargs
looks like:
bootargs=mem=120M console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/nfs rw 'nameserver=${dnsip}
nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath}' ip=dhcp noinitrd

Is this the right way to go (probably isn't, as it doesn't really work)? Is
there a special format for 'serverip' which is not an IP address?
Regards,
Avishai.