[U-Boot-Users] Device tree home

Kim Phillips kim.phillips at freescale.com
Thu Jan 18 22:38:15 CET 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:59:52 -0500
Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com> wrote:

> Kim Phillips wrote:
> > 3. does a subsystem maintainer get leverage into changes made in the
> > higher level components of Das U-Boot?  E.g., I'm still a firm
> > believer that the device tree source should live in the bootloader ;)
> >
> > Kim
>
> Hi Kim,
>
> Back to the fdt/of methodology (I started a new thread since it is kind
> of a new topic)... I have a hot project that I have not quite gotten to
> yet to integrate the fdt more tightly into u-boot rather than it being
> some magic wedged into bootm.
>
> The ultimate goal (for me) is to have an option where the u-boot env
> gets stored in a fdt rather than the current env so that the fdt really
> is native to u-boot.  The goal would be that all the current env
> commands would Just Work[tm].

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this - I thought the only parts of the device tree likely to get changed on the command line are the mac addresses and the chosen node's bootargs property, which today's u-boot handles well.

My belief is merely that the device tree data should belong in the u-boot image; they are both equally board specific.

Kim