[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 19 11:05:07 CET 2007

Dear Stefan,

in message <200701190818.08895.sr at denx.de> you wrote:

> > And, let's face it, adding new boards is the exception. Count how many
> > patches have been submitted so far, and how many boards we support.
> > It's a completely insignificant fraction. I don't think it would be a
> > good idea to fix the limits to suite such exceptions. These can be
> > compressed.
>
> I'm with the Freescale guys here. I don't like compressed patches. This

I agree 100% with you  here.  But  we  should  not  try  to  use  the
exceptions  as standard for setting up the message limits. The number
of cases, where a good and valid patch exceeds the  40  kB  limit  is
*very* small. And if somebody submits new code, you will probably not
only view it in your mailer, you will apply the patch, run MAKEALL to
see  if  it  comples  cleanly,  etc. - which means that you will most
probably use your  preferred  text  editor  for  reviewing  the  code
instead of reading it in your MUA.

In the past, you helped a lot to  review  patches  for  coding  style
violations.  I  guess  you  did  not do this in your MUA context, but
using a text editor instead?

Also, there is always the possibility to split a patch.

Ummm... is there a size limit on other mailing lists - say on lkml or
linuxppc-dev?

> requires some extra steps to review (at least for me) and normally I am too
> lazy to do this right away when reading the mails. Even if these boards
> support patches are not that frequent, there should be no "obstacle" to send
> them inline.

Well, you have never seen the messages that have been blocked by  the
mailing  list's  size  limit.  I *did* see (and usually reject) them.
Believe me, this filter function has always been very useful.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All this doesn't alter anything, you know. The world is still full of
stupid people. They don't use their brains. They don't seem  to  want
to think straight.                    - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_