[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 17:18:14 CET 2007

On 1/19/07, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Ummm... is there a size limit on other mailing lists - say on lkml or
> > linuxppc-dev?
>
> lkml (actually I think any list on vger.kernel.org) has a size limit of 100K.

But compressed patches are not allowed (or at least frowned upon) on
lkml. Documentation/SubmittingPatches actually states that the limit
is 40K uncompressed:

"Large changes are not appropriate for mailing lists, and some
maintainers.  If your patch, uncompressed, exceeds 40 kB in size,
it is preferred that you store your patch on an Internet-accessible
server, and provide instead a URL (link) pointing to your patch."

However, I think the actual hard limit is 100k as you say. If we're
going to raise the size limit, I vote for requiring patches to be
inline or, for large patches, at a web server.

Haavard