[U-Boot-Users] Atmel DataFlash hooks.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 29 14:36:31 CET 2007

In message <006c01c74378$2945df50$01c4af0a at atmel.com> you wrote:

> If you want to store environment in EEPROM
> (which Wolfgang does not like) then I think you
> need to memory map it with the current U-Boot.

No, not at all. U-Boot will read the EEPROM through  the  appropriate
I2C / SPI / ... driver calls.

[ And my dislike for EEPROm comes from the facts that (1)  I've  seen
  data   loss   /   corruption   on   I2C   EEPROMS  too  often  (see
  doc/I2C_Edge_Conditions), and that it's so slow  which  slows  down
  booting too much. ]

> > If it can be decided that the only devices that will be supported by
> > the memory commands in cmd_mem.c are those devices that can be read
> > directly
> > as ram without a read routine, I think that would help clarify the
> > intent of the commands.
>
> No it can't.
> Any modifications to the dataflash needs to allow for
> things that work today, and also what needs
> to be implemented, like memory compare, crc etc.

Ummm... I guess you don't have *my* support any longer on this.

> > cp/loadX. If we all
> > agree there is no desire to interface anything that requires a routine
> > to read data from it to the memory commands
>
> That will never reach an agreement.

Then we will have to come up with a decision even without a  complete
agreement of all involved parties.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You Don't Have To Be 'Damned' To Work Here, But It Helps!!!
                                             - Terry Pratchett, _Eric_