[U-Boot-Users] u-boot on blackfin problems loading linux kernel

matti h sinking_wasa at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 15:37:10 CET 2007

Hi,
Ive downloaded u-boot 1.1.6 sources and modified them to the extend that I
can figure out
to fit our custom blackfin board.
Im able to start u-boot by loading it to target using visualdsp++
and in the u-boot prompt I can load hello world example from a connected cf
disk.
But the linux kernel does not run... Im sure the kernel is ok, aswell as the
hardware (tested with other bootloader and works sound).
Now how do I debug this ?, is it possible that I have missed out some needed
change in the source ?
I have access to a jtag device to trace...but im not sure how I should use
it to find out the problem.

The hardware features the following
bf533 cpu @ 400 Mhz core
100 mhz ram .
16mb ram
2mb flash

Not sure about the following option
TEXT_BASE = 0x00600000
I grabbed it from the older bootloader...how do I tell it its "correct" ?
I have followed this guide for porting the source:
http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=customizing_u-boot_for_your_own_board
However I have not modified  cpu/bf533/cpu.c , should I ? and what should I
do in there?

I should note that I also tried the u-boot source from blackfin.uclinux.org
but I had even less luck running it, console works very poorly with their
source
(double characters apearing etc, ide not working ).

//Any help is
appriciated

- Matty

And this is how it all looks:
boot>ide res
Reset IDE: Bus 0: OK
  Device 0: Model: STI Flash 7.2.0  Firm: 12/15/04 Ser#: STI1J80505285182323
            Type: Hard Disk
            Capacity: 122.5 MB = 0.1 GB (250880 x 512)
boot>fatload ide 0:1 0x00800000 a/helloworld
reading a/helloworld
7813 bytes read
boot>bootelf 0x00800000
## Starting application at 0x00001000 ...
Example expects ABI version 3
Actual U-Boot ABI version 3
Hello World
argc = 1