[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Jul 3 03:46:38 CEST 2007

On 7/2/07, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 01:39:29AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> >
> > Do you mean you don't relocate the code any more?
>
> It still gets copied from the address U-Boot starts (Flash) to RAM, but
> pointer offsets are not recalculated. This means that you must not use
> statically initialized pointers during startup since the code is not
> running at its link address.

And this is a bug.  Statically initialized pointers are supposed to be
fixed up during relocation.  I've got a big patch set which I'll be
posting this evening (and would have already posted if I wasn't having
SMTP problems) that solves this for 5xx, 5xxx, 82xx & 83xx.

I think the intent of relocation is that the u-boot image can always
put itself at the end of SDRAM, regardless of how much ram is on the
board.  Not important for ports that have soldered down chips, but
useful if the board has expandable memory.

Cheers.
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.