[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 3 22:40:43 CEST 2007

In message <fa686aa40707030836r565db1e8hc2beead79034828e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > If you do not use statically initialized pointer on startup and running
> > at the link address after startup, you do not need to fixup anything.
>
> ... assuming that the u-boot design goal is changed to use a static
> relocation address instead of the detected end of RAM.

No, this has not been changed, and I will fight hard  to  keep  this.
Actually  I'm  trying  hard  to get this fixed for the non-conforming
architectured (ARM, MIPS, ...) which I consider broken.

> It's not a matter of making use of all the additional memory; it's
> more a matter of not having an unaccessable region in the middle of
> the RAM block.  There are a *lot* of different board configurations
> and a lot of different complex systems that load more than just a
> linux kernel.

ACK. And there are even systems which don't run Linux at all.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The moral of the story is: "Don't stop to  tighten  your  shoe  laces
during the Olympics 100m finals".
                             - Kevin Jones in <DEJo68.K1t at bri.hp.com>