[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Wed Jul 4 11:37:11 CEST 2007

Scott Wood wrote:
> 4. Include full console functionality in the wrapper, but only for debug
> builds.  A simple printf() really shouldn't be that big, anyway.  This
> also eliminates the need to get console information from the environment,
> since you can hardcode it for debugging purposes.

IMHO for board bring up, the very first thing a bootloader should do is
some pin toggling! (ideally there is a LED connected to a pin...) to see if
the board at least comes out of reset and starts at our code.
And then to put out a counter, every time some initialization was finished until
a console is initialized.

I guess most of you came in contact with the Port 0x80 and beep POST codes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test
This would help all those without hardware debuggers connected to their board.

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Straße 45/1