[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 4 16:02:43 CEST 2007

In message <20070704122101.GO25364 at pengutronix.de> you wrote:

> Let's look at the PC architecture, which is really supposed to be
> customized by dummy users. It just makes BEEEP if the memory init goes
> wrong. People designed it this way on purpose. I know that there are

Excellent example.

Now please answer: how many people do you know who can use a BIOS for
board bringup, software development and product customization in even
a remotely similar way as you can do with U-Boot?

How many engineers do you how like to use a BIOS?

> If a hardware manufacturer does so, surely nobody will blame the u-boot
> provider for that. If somebody forgets to solder the flash chips onto
> his board, nobody expects u-boot to print out a proper warning as well
> :-)

Yes, I do. Or if a flash chip falls of, etc.

It's trivial to provide such a basic diagnostic mode built in, so why
drop it?

> I assume the way we do the discussion now is really right - we throw in
> "it can be soooooo easy" ideas, you tell us the corner cases and then we
> iterate until everybody is happy :-)

Define "corner case".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
One essential to success is that you desire be an all-obsessing  one,
your thoughts and aims be co-ordinated, and your energy be concentra-
ted and applied without letup.