[U-Boot-Users] Update on the u-boot-fdt repo status

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 02:10:05 CEST 2007

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have updated the "fdt" branch of the u-boot-fdt repository with a
> reworked set of previously published patches plus a small improvement
> (adding a "fdt boardsetup" command).
>
> I am republishing the full set of patches because (a) I did some
> reorganization, making it confusing to try to cherry-pick the unchanged
> old patches and (b) its been a while since the old set was published.
>
> Best regards,
> gvb

A word of warning, I had previously pushed the first pass of these
u-boot-fdt changes to the "master" branch.  This was a mistake IMHO, so
I ended up resetting my u-boot-fdt master branch back to before I made
the changes and moved the New Improved[tm] patches into the "fdt" branch.

I ended up having to force a pull from the master u-boot tree on my
"master" branch to recover.  I've pushed the resynchronized u-boot-fdt
"master" branch back to denx.de, so I believe everything is clean again.

If you've cloned the u-boot-fdt tree prior to tonight, approximately
23:00 GMT? 2007-07-05, you may have to do a -f force on a git pull or
simply re-clone the u-boot-fdt repo.

My apologies if this causes you grief.

FWIIW, my current best custodian repo technique is:
* Do my work in a different branch than "master" ("fdt" in my case)
* Keep the "master" branch in sync with u-boot-fdt by pulling it.
     $ git pull git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git
* Rebase my working branch to the "master" to move my changes "after"
     the "master" branch (which should alway reflects The Master Repo)
     This should allow Wolfgang to pull the branch without having any
     merge conflicts because the custodian will have seen and fixed
     them already.
     $ git rebase master

The proof in the pudding will be when Wolfgang pulls the changes into
The Master Repo...

gvb