[U-Boot-Users] newbie question re MPC 8250

Scott Mann sunix13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 19:58:29 CEST 2007

Hello,

We are using a Freescale MPC8250 board with the ppc603e. Currently, it is running redboot/eCos. I'm working on the port to Uboot/Linux ;-)
I volunteered for the bootloader port because it's something I've not done before and wanted to learn. So, here I am.

I've read through the README and MAINTAINERS and perused the include/configs dir. I've also searched the archive for this list and read through the MPC 8250 messages I found. In particular, I found references to ATC and PM825 (evidently boards that also implement the MPC8250), but I haven't found any more information about those boards. I've downloaded u-boot-1.1.5, is that the best version?

Where should I begin? Can someone recommend a config with which to start? I noticed that "Rattler.h" uses MPC8250 as it's CPU_ID_STR. But there are other config files with configs that look more like what I've done to configure the kernel (and I do have that working on the board). Is that a relevant comparison?

Any tips/pointers/rtfm are greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Scott