[U-Boot-Users] Implementation of serial console redirection in uboot

Joey Oravec joravec at drewtech.com
Tue Jul 17 14:54:34 CEST 2007

<yasothabalanr at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:22587334.1242731184650886880.JavaMail.nabble at isper.nabble.com...
>I am using Uboot as my boot loader.
>
> Actually here I want to do console redirection through USB port.
>
> So that I have to modify console redirection via serial code to console
> redirection via of USB
>
> To do that first I want to know how serial console redirection is done in
> the UBOOT code. i.e., how in uboot the "serial console redirection" is
> implemented.
>
> For console redirection(serial) there should be some code, somewhere in
> the UBoot. I want to know how and where(in file,in which function) the
> console redirection is implemented. [I have found how the configuration is
> done for console redirection]

You have posted the same question several times. I have already responded to
you. In case you deleted the email, see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/30132

File common/console.c and common/devices.c contain everything. When you
device_register(), you're inserting a new item into the devlist. When you
set the stdin, stdout, or stderr you're calling console_setfile() which
assigns a function pointer for each I/O function. When u-boot wants to read
or display a character it follows the function pointer stored in global
data.

Please read my previous posting. Use lcd.c as an example. Write 4 new
functions that implement getc, tstc, putc, and puts. Register these as I/O
using device_register() and choose them by setting stdin, stdout, and
stderr.

-joey