[U-Boot-Users] In kernel mkimage

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:18:01 CEST 2007

On 7/17/07, Behan Webster <behanw at websterwood.com> wrote:
> Stefan Roese wrote:
> > The easiest change would be to add a make target to the U-Boot top-level
> > Makefile, for mkimage generation. This way the Linux "user" would at least
> > not have to worry about compiling U-Boot for a not needed platform.
> >
> This is the easiest and a good first step.
>
> However, I agree with Josh that it's still strange that this is
> necessary step to build a kernel.
>
> Of course, if mkimage is a seperable tool, then at the very least linux
> distributions can start to package it as a seperate tool. This is
> something that a lot of users have asked for from what I've seen.

Yes.  I did that with the device tree compiler for Fedora recently.

> If it is both easy to build mkimage by itself, and can be distributed as
> a package for the various distros, then most of this issue goes away.

True.  The one thing that might pop up is that distros might object to
'mkimage' being too generic.  Though I think the chance of that being
a large issue is small.  We should definitely try and make it
standalone in some fashion.

josh