[U-Boot-Users] [RFC] Splash image

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at grandegger.com
Thu Jul 19 22:30:51 CEST 2007

Joey Oravec wrote:
> "Wolfgang Grandegger" <wg at grandegger.com> wrote in message
> news:<469F334F.6040003 at grandegger.com>...
>>> In order to adapt pxafb support to "drivers/cfb_console.c" I think I
>>> should move cpu/pxa/pxafb.c to drivers/pxafb.c adapting the internal
>>> functions to use video_hw_init() and video_set_lut(). Is that right?
>> I think so and drivers is also the correct place for pxafb.c.
>
> That doesn't seem like a great move. The drivers folder is just a collection
> of garbage which is board specific anyway right now.

Well, yes, that's a to-do for u-boot-v2. In another mail to the list I
already suggested _not_ to waste too much time with the old video
drivers but concentrate the effort on a unified driver for u-boot-v2.

> Where may I download your patches? I have not seen your changes yet, and I
> would like to see if this is completely PXA specific or if any of that is
> reusable for AT91, MPC, or other hardware.

I'm going to post it next week. The dynamic display configuration is
implemented for the MPC823, other stuff is useful for PXA as well, like
splash image rotation.

> It makes sense to have a framebuffer.c in drivers which is common to every
> chip, every framebuffer, and everything that you could ever want to program.
> It also makes sense to have some support code in common that opens BMP
> files, draws something upon the frame buffer, etc. Finally it makes sense to
> have CPU specific code that initializes the registers, DMA, and everything
> for the specific chip.

Yes, we have something like that already, e.g. driver/cfb_console.c.
Unfortunately, it does not support monochrome displays. Furthermore
there is "common/lcd.c" mainly for the FB of the MPC823 and PXA
supporting monochrome and 8-bit with color-map display.

> I will take a look at the code but I'm a little worried based on what I've
> read so far. This sounds like the changes may be very specific to one CPU or
> one board and not a general driver framework.

The patch will add more features to "common/lcd.c" but it will
definitely not improve the general driver framework.

Wolfgang.