[U-Boot-Users] U-boot ColdFire development

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Wed Jul 25 17:54:27 CEST 2007

Hi,
On 20 Jul 2007 at 14:31, Stefan Roese wrote:

> On Thursday 12 July 2007, Stefan Roese wrote:
> > > http://opensource.freescale.com/git?p=u-boot-coldfire.git;a=summary
> >
> > Thanks. Looks very promising. All ColdFire users out there, please take a
> > look at it and send comments. If I don't hear anything negative, I'll merge
> > the repository into the u-boot-coldfire repository soon.
>
> The merge is now done. It's now available in the u-boot-coldfire repository.
> Please give it a try and let me know if you see any problems.
>
> Thanks.

After struggling with git again to get the correct tree, I finally could get the source but
am still struggling to get it ported to my board. As I do not know when this will be done,
here my comments "during porting".

First: the cleaned-up immap_5329.h and m5329.h look very nice! (although I think
naming all registers according to their naming in the data sheet would make things
easier - I am talking about SDRAM controller here, and e.g. GPIO ppdsdr)

However, I also have some comments:

First, I still think it would be possible to put together MCF532x and MCF537x into
one source tree (and header files), as they only differ in some peripherals being
present or not.
TsiChung, you mentioned there are differences in cache handling - I can not find those?
Please note that MCF5307 is indeed completely different, I am not relating to this one!
In case we do so, the cpu "id" in cpu/mcf532x/cpu.c should be changed, because we would
have to distinguish MCF5372/MCF5372L and MCF5373/MCF5373L.

Then, concerning UART:
- is CFG_UART_PORT (in cpu_init.c) meant to be there? Configurable console port is
  great, I need it myself, but shouldn´t it be named CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT or
  something?
- is it useful to have the GPIO part of UART configuration in cpu_init.c?
  IIRC the console port should be changeable from the environment, then the GPIO
  setting for the UART should be in mcfuart, or at least somewhere accessible from
  there
- why do we need #ifdef CONFIG_MCFSERIAL in mcfuart.c?
- IMHO the GPIO initialization for UART3 is incorrect in cpu_init.c. This should be
	case 2:
		gpio->par_timer &= 0x0F;
		gpio->par_timer |= (GPIO_PAR_TIN3_URXD2 | GPIO_PAR_TIN2_UTXD2);

For the sync() function (needed for CFI):
is it useful to have it for each board, or shouldn´t this be handled somewhere in lib_m68k?

in cpu/mcf532x/Makefile, should
START =
be
START = start.o
for start.o being correctly re-made if needed?

What is the sense of having CFG_SDRAM_CFG1 and all this stuff defined in the
configuration file when you have the SDRAM configuration itself in the board-specific
source code? In case of switching between DDR/SDR or mobile DDR you have to
change the initialization sequence anyways...

Last but not least, there is a missing #endif at the bottom of mcfuart.h?!

I hope I got most of it correct now. Any comments welcome!

Best regards,
Wolfgang