[U-Boot-Users] Some questions about what is planned to improve U-Boot configuration...

Carsten Schlote c.schlote at konzeptpark.de
Thu Jun 14 11:37:56 CEST 2007

Hi,

as everyone knows, the current config system for U-Boot is simply PITA.
I regexed all 'CONFIG_' defines from the latest sources, and I found
more than 1300 unique defines. Not tested with 'CFG_' defines yet. Some
defines use cannonical names, so you see what belongs together. For the
rest you must dig in the sources.

I also found, that you need to undef several defines to disable a sub
system completely. Any single change/addition/removal to/of a CONFIG_
define might have a side-effect. And most times it has.

I would like to know, if there are any plans or is on-going work to
replace this hand-crafted mess with a configuration system?

I'd like to use something like Kconfig. It turned out to be useful with
Linux, BusyBox or ptxdist. It handles dependencies between defines, and
also provides help and defaults for each.

Regards
  Carsten

Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirusKit
Version: AVK 17.5384 from 14.06.2007