[U-Boot-Users] Erase error on dual P30 (CFI) flash chips

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Fri Jun 15 16:15:45 CEST 2007

Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007, w.wegner at astro-kom.de wrote:
>
>>> Flash erase error at address ffd80000
>>> Block Erase Error.
>>> Block locked.
>>>  done
>>> Erased 1 sectors
>>>
>> if I am not mistaken, you have to also set:
>>
>> #define CFG_FLASH_PROTECTION 1
>>

> And you will have to set the environment variable "unlock" to "yes". This will
> unlock all non U-Boot special sectors by default upon powerup.
>
> => setenv unlock yes
> => saveenv

Alternative to setting "unlock" environment variable you will need to
issue "protect off" for any locked sector that should be unlocked. This
may be handy if you have other stuff on the flash which you would like
to keep protected. One way to do this is via a u-boot script that is
executed as part of boot. I think Intel chips (used to) preserve their
last lock status and recent Spansion chips start all locked upon boot so
you might not need unlock environment variable for your Intel part as
well once you have the proper sectors unlocked (for example jffs2 areas)

Tolunay