[U-Boot-Users] Can a BDI2K be used with a bare/erased 834x based system?

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Fri Jun 15 23:05:28 CEST 2007

We're getting our custom HW in about a month and my HW designer came
across something in the PowerQUICC Design Checklist that we hadn't
considered.  (BTW, our board is based around the MPC8347.)  The following
is a direct quote from the Checklist:

"There may be issues with you usa a JTAG-based in-circuit emulator to boot
the PowerQUICC Pro II device as reset configuration words are sourced from
an unprogrammed Flash device on the local bus.  There is no valid RCW
already present in Flash memory when the PowerQUICC II Pro device performs
the \PORESET sequence.  The CPU core is disabled and the in-circuit
emulator cannot take conrtol of the CPU."

It never occured to me that this may be an issue as this is the first
processor I've brought up that didn't get it's reset state from processor
pins.  I had planned on using the BDI2K to do the flash programming on our
prototypes, but if I can't get the BDI2K to take control of the the
processor I can't do the programming.  Not a big deal, we have
alternatives that we've thought of, but I'm curious about the "RCW" line
in the configuration file.  The BDI2K manual states the following for the
RCW:

"When this line is present, the BDI overrides the Reset Configuration
Words with the values provided."

Does anyone know if this means the BDI can override the RCW before the
processor performs the \PORESET sequence?  In other words, if I have and
RCW line in the BDI configuration file, will it be able to provide RCW
values to the proc essor when there are none present in the flash, and
allow the \PORESET sequence to complete normally?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bruce