[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot 1.2 - Cannot run hello_world - Coldfire

Ganesh Chandra Patro ganesh.patro at softdel.com
Mon Jun 18 12:48:45 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: u-boot-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:u-boot-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Arun
Biyani
Sent: 15 June, 2007 Friday 11:00 PM
To: Wolfgang Denk
Cc: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] U-Boot 1.2 - Cannot run hello_world -
Coldfire

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Eventually you did not download the binary image?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

This morning, I also tried to run the .bin file (hello_world.bin).
U-Boot just hung up. Current status
is, the hello_world program in the distribution (unmodified) does not
run on Coldfire based board.
I tried this on our target board as well as a CSB360 board from Cogent
Computers. I tried both
the hello_world.srec file and the hello_world.bin file.

Any ideas as to what I can do to make simple applications run in U-Boot
on Coldfire? Has anyone
else tried this?

Thx

Hi Arun,
There is a specific way to run a bin file. First you have to load to a
specific memory location let's say 0x2000. You have find the entry point
address of the bin from it's symbol table and assuming the flash start
address of the bin file 0, add 0x2000 to know the entry point address of the
bin in the memory just loaded. Now say go "address" on the CLI. The program
will run. Every time you load to a different address you need to find the
actual physical address. That's why loading an ELF is easier than a bin from
CLI. The same bin or srec can be burnt and run from the flash, but running a
bin would involve this much to do be done.

Thanks and Regards

Ganesh Chandra Patro
SoftDel Systems Ltd
"ACROPOLIS", 2nd Floor