[U-Boot-Users] Some questions about what is plannedtoimproveU-Boot configuration...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 20 00:58:39 CEST 2007

In message <4677CCB5.5050204 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> My 0.01 euro (lousy exchange rate)...

Depends on where you live. For me it's OK ;-)

> Doing the config in the makefile via differently named targets is Really
> Tricky[tm] in that it works quite well but makes me feel icky when I
> think about it.  Parsing the target and echoing config parameters into a
> config.mk config file via the rule is not a good way to do config IMHO.
>
> I don't know what is done in the ARM area, but the 8xx, 82xx, and 83xx
> boards that use this method could just as well use a kconfig style
> configuration system.  All they are doing is selecting boot high/low,
> memory configurations, processor speeds, board flavors, LCD support,
> etc.  All those sound _exactly_ like kconfig stuff to me.

Agreed. I just wanted to point out that such things *are* being done,
and that it's not sufficient fo grep for some config options from the
includ/config/* files and feed these through some scripts. A *lot* of
manual postprocessing will be needed.

> Downsides?  How do you do the equivalent of "MAKEALL"?  We will need a
> default config file for each target that is currently supported and

You need that in any case.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
FORTRAN? The syntactically incorrect statement "DO 10 I = 1.10"  will
parse  and  generate  code  creating  a  variable, DO10I, as follows:
"DO10I = 1.10" If that doesn't terrify you, it should.