[U-Boot-Users] Some questions about what is planned toimproveU-Boot configuration...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 20 01:07:17 CEST 2007

In message <46597312D56D2A47A3A6E9C1D0D9B7AEB0C323 at kpladc0001.konzeptpark.intra> you wrote:

> > Please  be  careful  when  planning  for  this.  One  feature
> >  thatis essential  to  me is that it must be possible to have
> > all information for the configuration of a certain board in
> > a  single  configuration
> > file   (i.   e.   something   corresponding   to   what  we  have  in
> > include/config/<board>.h now)
>
> That is exactly, what I have in mind. The current
> include/config/<board>.h files will include the autogenerated autoconf.h
> file (or better a tree of such files, so that build dependancies are
> only triggered for those submodules whose configs have changed.)

No, this is NOT what I mean. "include" means that the information  is
distributed  over  at  least  two  files, one of them auto-generated,
which makes things just worse.

When I write "a single configuration file" I  really  mean  a  SINGLE
file, and not collecting the information from several includes.

> Only those defines, which are unique for the target board will remain in
> the include/config/<board>.h file.

The whole default configuration is unique for a board.

> I fear, that the scripts can produces only templates for the Kconfig
> files to reduce typing work. All the interactions and dependancies must
> be added by hand later. Also the help stuff must be filled in by hand.

That was what I wanted to point out. Your previous posting sounded as
if you expect a few lines of grep and sed trickery would do  all  the
work ;-)

> With some careful planning, the Kconfig system can be setup in parallel
> to the on-going work. The first step could be to have a working Kconfig
> system which basically defines an empty menutree with nearly no options.
> All target headers get patched to include these autogenerated headers.
> <full regression test>.

That "<full regression test>" is actually the fun part :-(

> So I prefer the a 100% solution ;-)

I don't. I'm an engineer. I always try to recognize where it makese
sense to stop. See below.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10%  takes
the other 90% of the time.