[U-Boot-Users] Blank console with IXDP425 in U-boot-1.1.6

Queenie queenie245 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:43:10 CEST 2007

Hello,

Thanx alot for all your valuable inputs. Finally got the console working for
my customised IXP422 based target board.
This maybe useful for someone else trying...

Bootloader: U-boot 1.1.6 with npe microcode 2.4
(IPL_ixp400NpeLibrary-2_4)from Intel
Toolchain : arm-linux-tools-20061213.tar.gz
Settings used r below:
/*
 * Expansion bus settings
 */
#define CFG_EXP_CS0				0xbFFF3c42

/*
 * SDRAM settings
 */
#define CFG_SDR_CONFIG		0x18
#define CFG_SDR_MODE_CONFIG	0x1
#define CFG_SDRAM_REFRESH_CNT 	0x81a

/*
 * select serial console configuration
 */
#define CFG_IXP425_CONSOLE      IXP425_UART2
One thing which i got confused was that,
the Schematics of IXDP425 (Development board from Intel) mentioned the UARTs
and UART0 and UART1. While the IXP42X datasheet mentions High-speed UART
(C8000000) and Console UART at (C8001000)
and U-boot mentions the UARTs as UART1 and UART2

Hence even though in my customed target board schematics the console is
shown as connecte to UART1,
in u-boot you have to choose the UART2 option as shown above.

I have got the console up but my ethernet is not yet up. Now my next target
is to get that working. Any tips for me :)

Few questions--
1> Why is the CFG_HZ as 3333333 ? Is this for the Bus for UART? I read its
66MHz
2> What us CONFIG_KGDB_SER_INDEX? Its now set to 2, is it connected to my
serial console port?
Iam using two SDRAM's 128Mbit each, connected to CS0 having D0-D15 and
D16-D31 datalines respectively. Hence Iam using total size of 32MB SDRAM (2
SDRAM's of 128Mbit --> 8Mx16)
3> What is PHYS_SDRAM_1_SIZE? Will it be the total SDRAM size or size of 1
SDRAM?? I tried iwth both options and didnt see any difference.
Please let me know.

Cheers!

Queenie