[U-Boot-Users] USB Host support

David Saada David.Saada at ecitele.com
Sun Jun 24 10:11:14 CEST 2007

> Dear David,
>
> Please keep the list on CC:
Sorry. Wrong reply button...

> >> The higher level interfaces are all in place and there are drivers for
> >> different controllers such as OHCI and UHCI. Some of these controller
> >> drivers are still board dependant, but we're in the progress of merging
> >> them together into one generic driver. If you happen to have an OHCI
> >> Controller, don't miss "doc/README.generic_usb_ohci".
> > Is there a plan to support EHCI as well?
>
> There are already boards supporting USB 2.0. Grep for "USB_2_0_DEVICE".
Thanks. Will do.

> >> Writing is not supported so far, but reading works fine on a number of
> >> architectures and boards.
> >>
> > Do you plan to support writing as well?
>
> No, not at the moment. USB is typically used for updating components of
> the system for which reading files is sufficient. What do you need
> support for writing for?
Let me elaborate a bit: We're thinking of having a kind of a "Disk on key"
device as our primary non volatile storage. The Linux software image will be
on this device, so we'll need to boot from it as well. As this is an MPC85xx
based board, having no embedded USB controller, we'll also need an external
PCI to USB 2.0 host controller. Writing may be needed as in our current boot
process the boot application writes some temporary files on the HD (and it's
also needed at development stage, when there is no image on the disk).
I basically would like to know how painful it is to have all this ticking
with the current u-boot support.

Best regards,
David.