[U-Boot-Users] Uncompression of image takes time.

Adarsh Babu adarshrbpin at yahoo.co.in
Thu Mar 1 07:12:17 CET 2007

Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren <at> smiths-aerospace.com> writes:

> Adarsh Babu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an image which is 1.5MB in size after compression, thats is done
for
> > MCF5271. When i try to load this on a MCF5271 eval board using u-boot
1.2.0 it
> > takes about 25 secs to just uncompress. I loaded a MCF5272 eval board with
U-
> > Boot 1.2.0 and then tried to start the same image(which was done for
MCF5271).
> > It was very fast. The checksum verification finish off in a second and
> > uncompression in 10 seconds !
> >
> > The clock configurations for both are provided below:
> > M5272C3.h
> > define CFG_HZ			1000
> > #define CFG_CLK			66000000
> >
> > M5271EVB.h:
> > define CFG_HZ			1000000
> > #define CFG_CLK			100000000
> >
> > What should I do to get the image to uncompress faster in the MCF5271 EVB?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adarsh.
>
> 1) Your CFG_HZ looks like a problem: it should be 1000 and your timer
> tick interrupt should be running 1000 times per second to match.  If you
> are indeed ticking 1,000,000 times per second, you are spending all of
> your processor time in your timer ISR.
>
> 2) Why is your image 1.5MB?  I suspect you have large unused areas of
> memory (typically due to ISR vectors, followed by a huge unused gap,
> followed by the code).  If you fix your image size (assuming it is
> broken), the checksum and uncompress will be much faster.
>
> gvb

Hi Jerry,

I tried the same after modifying the CFG_HZ to 1000. But i still get the same
result. Its as if there is no effect. The image size is 1.5MB becos its just
not a kernel image. Its kernel + our application. Could this be a problem with
the timer initialization and cofiguration?

Regards,
Adarsh.