[U-Boot-Users] Extremely tiny footprint

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at technotrade.biz
Fri Mar 2 12:19:57 CET 2007

Hi everybody,

I would like to use U-Boot as a first-stage boot loader to program flash
memory on the target board. The idea is to perform a two-steps procedure:

1. Program the first-stage boot loader in flash using JTAG (slow)
2. The first-stage boot loader downloads the final boot loader (full-featured
U-Boot) using TFTP and writes it to flash (fast)

To minimize time spent in step one, I need to make the first-stage boot loader
as small as possible (hopefully less than 32kB). Has anyone ever stripped
U-Boot that much ? Is there any documentation available ?

Laurent Pinchart