[U-Boot-Users] RFA & Update: Using libfdt in u-boot for fdt command

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at comcast.net
Fri Mar 2 13:31:39 CET 2007

David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:25:17AM -0500, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>> David Gibson wrote:
>>> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 11:08:38PM -0500, Jerry Van Baren wrote:
>> [snip]

>>> Hrm.  And it returns NULL for tags without a name?
>> I was unable to generate a tag without a name using dtc (other than the
>> root node).  It should/would return null, which would be a problem. :-/
>
> I was thinking more of tag types which don't have a name, to wit,
> FDT_END_NODE and FDT_NOP.
>
>>> That might be a useful extension for the next_tag function.  The one
>>> thing I'm concerned about is who's responsible for verifying the name
>>> pointer.  I'm trying to keep libfdt robust enough that evern if
>>> presented with a badly corrupt blob it will fail relatively
>>> gracefully.  Ideally, no matter what it's presented with, it will
>>> always return at worst FDT_ERR_BADSTRUCTURE rather than crashing and
>>> will under no circumstances access memory outside the given blob
>>> size.
>> [snip]

>>> Well, yes.  Except that in OF and derived terminology, properties are
>>> *never* referred to by path in this way.  It's always:
>>> 	"property 'fred' of node /foo/bar/baz"
>> I'm coming from a human interface syntax point of view and assumed that
>> the human interface is paths like linux where the last item is a
>> directory or file with the computer guessing what you really meant
>> (which _isn't_ ambiguous in file/dir paths).  Is there a better syntax
>> for distinguishing between node paths and properties?
>
> You assumed incorrectly.  Well, unless you count /proc/device-tree as
> a human interface to the device tree, which isn't entirely
> unreasonable.  OF certainly doesn't use that approach, it uses state
> instead, first "dev /foo/bar/baz" then ".properties" or "setprop ....".

OF is a programming language that has some crude elements of interaction
(wouldn't that be "/foo/bar/baz" dev in Forthspeak? ;-).  Making user
interface commands have state, where you do "fdt dev /foo/bar/baz"
(remembering the offset of the node) and then "fdt .properties"
implicitly working on /foo/bar/baz is ugly ugly ugly.

We need a usable human interface syntax, replacing the last "/" with
some other character that is not a legal character for a name and thus
won't cause confusion.  I am not familiar enough with OF to know if
there is a unique character that can be used for the node path vs.
property separator.  If someone has a good one, hollar, otherwise I'll
do some more research when I have time.

Lacking a good property separator character, I will be sticking with the
convention that the stuff after the last "/" is a node unless that
assumption is wrong, in which case it is a property.

Best regards,
gvb