[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot prompt is not seen on console when U-Boot is in RAM

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Fri Mar 9 11:00:39 CET 2007

Pharaoh . skrev:
> I think I am getting what you are saying...
>
> The u-boot is downloaded to TEXT_BASE = 0x11080000 (from config.mk )
> which is default address for u-boot to load for my board. This is the
> place where u-boot would have relocated itself, had it been copied
> from flash. Infact I was pondering over these:
>
> one of the earlist things u-boot does is initializing the SDRAM
> controller so that RAM can be used for setting up execution
> environment i.e. setting up stack etc. then u-boot relocates itself to
> RAM and so on.

You should beware that your code does not reinitialize the SDRAM controller
*after* you have relocated to SDRAM.

For the AT91RM9200 and AT91SAM926x chips booting from serial flash,
the SDRAM is initialized by a small bootloader which also copies U-boot
to SDRAM.
U-Boot never touches the SDRAM controller.

Pls check that your linker file is containing the correct TEXT_BASE.
Sometimes things are done in several places and you have to use the
right one.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57

Technical support when I am not available:
AT90 AVR Applications Group: mailto:avr at atmel.com
AT91 ARM Applications Group: mailto:at91support at atmel.com
links: www.avrfreaks.net; www.at91.com; avr32linux.org