[U-Boot-Users] ethact, ethprim and NET_MULTI

vb vb at vsbe.com
Fri Mar 9 18:25:12 CET 2007

On 3/9/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <f608b67d0703090901m49143780i2638379fec23920d at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> > Sorry, Wolfgang, I missed your reply before sending an email on
> > another thread. Anyway, the thing is that quite often different
> > interfaces are connected to different subnets and switching interfaces
>
> Yes, this is exactly the intended use. You connect  different  inter-
> faces  to  different networks to provide redundant ethernet capabili-
> ties.
>
> > is completely useless.
>
> Redundancy is useless? Maybe for you. Others pay alot of money for it.

Hey Wolfgang, let's not get personal here, it's just business :-)

I appreciate your point, *in certain setups* it is quite advantageous
to be able to try using a different interface.

But in some other setups (let's say there is a system with a
controller with two interfaces - once serving the external port, and
another one serving the backplane) it is completely pointless to try
to say tftpboot off any other interface but the external port.

cheers,
vadim