[U-Boot-Users] Help !! How to activate and use FAT support

harshal shete harshalshete at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:47:03 CET 2007

Hi all,
I am new to U-boot environment.i am working on a custom board.
which is having the 2MB of External RAM and 4 MB External Flash.
i want to enable the fat file system support from U-boot.
so that we should be able to copy some file from the device on which the
file system is lying.
i am trying SD RAM as device which will have the FAT32 file system.
but currently i am not having that device so i want to apply this
inteligence in External-RAM based image.
and after it becomes succesfull i will try it for SD RAM.
i am working in ARM 7 architecture.
currently i have enabled the file system code with CFG_CMD_FAT macro
and i am able to see the fatls,fatload,fatinfo commands on the serial
prompt.

so i have some queries as follows..
1) What should i do so that i can use External RAM as an device??
         I mean how should i treat External RAM as device in which i am
copying the FAT file system image.

Because in fatload command first it calls the
block_dev_desc_t *get_dev (char* ifname, int dev) and it returns pointer to
appropriate device
and i want to use External RAM as my device.
(i am able to read and write the external RAM)
if anyone is having any idea about it then please let me know

Thanks and Regards
Harshal Shete