[U-Boot-Users] need some help

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Sat Mar 17 19:13:33 CET 2007

Hi Tim,

> Hi, this is a plead for someone to answer me or at least tell me
> where to go for help. I am trying to get a simple hello world going
> on a new CPU & board. I have a NuCore device similar to the s3c2410A.
> I bought the Embest board to see if that would help but it hasn't. I
> have posted a few questions in the past with no answers. Can someone
> help out a newbie please? I am not new to linux or embedded systems
> just to u-boot and this processor...

There are plenty of people here that would help. However,
you can't expect 'generic' help. You need to be specific
about your problems. For example, most of us would have
no idea what a s3c2410A is, sure we could find it with
Google, but save us the trouble. ... ARM920T core.

Getting a 'simple hello world' could mean you are trying to
boot a processor from scratch and get hello world coming
out the serial console, or it could mean you are writing
a u-boot standalone application and can't get it to work.

I'm assuming you've read through all the excellent docs
on Denx's web site.

Here's a copy of my U-Boot walk-thru's on a couple of PowerPC
boards, and another on bare-metal experiments with gcc on an
ARM 7TDMI core ...

PowerPC stuff;

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/powerpc_mpc8349e.pdf
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/powerpc_440ep.pdf

ARM stuff;
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/ucos/project_AR1803.pdf
http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/ucos/

The PowerPC stuff has an example of a U-Boot standalone app,
while the bare-metal stuff has blinking LEDs etc.

Cheers
Dave