[U-Boot-Users] u-boot 1.1.4 compiled by eldk 4.1 for mpc82xx crashed

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon Mar 19 14:47:46 CET 2007

Miao Qingjun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encountered a big problem that u-boot 1.1.4 compiled by eldk 4.1 for
> mpc82xx crashed.
>
> But if I build it using gcc-3.4.6 based cross tools, u-boot on my board
> boots correctly.
>
> u-boot built by eldk 4.1 (gcc-4.0) failed, nothing occures on serial
> port.
>
> Somebody sufered the same problem?

This is often a missing "volatile" qualifier on shared variable
(particularly hardware registers) references.  Newer compiler versions
optimize more aggressively, making missing "volatile"s visible.

If you use -O0 (no optimization) does it fix the problem?  If it does,
it most likely is an optimization/volatile issue.  The hard part is to
figure out where.  Device handling and board-specific code is the place
to start.

Best regards,
gvb