[U-Boot-Users] New version of AT91-BootstrapforAT91SAM92xU-Boot/Buildroot/Linux users

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 26 16:35:01 CEST 2007

In message <012301c76fa8$4f613cf0$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> I advertised the new AT91-Bootstrap on the list because
> AT91 u-boot users are probably interested.
> That does not mean that AT91-Bootstrap has any code sharing with U-boot.
> It is a self contained package.

All understood. And I asked if it was possible to integrate  it  like
NAND  boot  support  for  other  boards  is directly supported within
U-Boot.

> It is a very simple function, and now when it exists,
> putting a lot of work to merge with U-boot is maybe not cost-effective.

You think it's a lot of effort?

> Meanwhile, I have plenty of stuff to do, including trying
> to get AT91SAM926x patches into the main tree
> so don't expect any at91-bootstrap patch soon.

What a pitty...

> I do not see why U-Boot should require a softfloat compiler
> when no floating point is used though!

I'm not sure that htis is  indeed  the  case.  I  just  said  that  I
consider the use of FP code in U-Boot a bug.

> Would a patch which simply removed the -msoftfloat be acceptable?

Why should we remove it when no FP is used?

I think this is primarily a toolchain issue, and the tools should  be
fixed.  But  of  course  there may be buggy code in the ARM port that
triggers the use of FP instructions - then this should be located and
cleaned up, too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
...computer hardware progress is so fast. No other  technology  since
civilization  began  has seen six orders of magnitude in performance-
price gain in 30 years.                             - Fred Brooks, Jr.