[U-Boot-Users] xilinx drivers

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Mar 26 16:59:51 CEST 2007

On 3/26/07, mONStR <Monstr at seznam.cz> wrote:
> Is it possible do this changes?
>
> And after that add support for other xilinx peripherals as SPI, EMACLITE, etc.
>
> Isn't it problem with Xilinx licence?

Latest code generated by the Xilinx EDK tools (at least for the Linux
BSP) are licensed under the GPL.  The old files can be replaced with
the newer ones if someone can take on the work.

However, I am concerned about the size/complexity of the Xilinx
supplied drivers.  The Xilinx drivers are designed to be cross
platform, and as such they carry with them a fair amount of
boilerplate and wrapping code to make it easy to adapt them to new
environments.  While this is a good approach for Xilinx to get
customers up and running quickly, I don't think it is appropriate for
code integrated into the u-boot tree (including the code already
there).  The extra wrapping code adds additional layers of redirection
and complexity that are not desireable within u-boot (and utterly
unnecessary; once the driver is ported to the u-boot environment, it
stays there.  The code no longer needs to compile in other
environments)

I think we can do better.

In particular, a UARTLITE driver is trivial to write.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.