[U-Boot-Users] Getting Started Porting U-Boot to M5329EVB board

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Thu May 3 14:16:21 CEST 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007 13:55, Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> Yes, I am, and that is where I've started.  I currently have got a
> simple copy to compile cleanly, but none of the device-specific code has
> been checked to see if it needs to be modified.
>
> Any hints as to where I should start?

start.S is a good point to "start" looking at. ;-)

> For example, I'm guessing the
> serial port is rather important, right?

Yes it is. No idea if the serial core on your M5329 is identical to the one
used in the already supported M52x2.

> But do I need the interrupts
> functioning to enable serial communications?  In other words, is the
> serial port interrupt-driven?

Normally not. Could be that interrupts are need for timer support (timeout
handling...).

> I'm guessing I need to find "main",
> follow the hardware initialization code, and that should point me where
> I need to go...

Again start.S.

I have to admit that I am not into the ColdFires right now. With addition of
the M5329 to the current U-Boot ColdFire support, we should either

a) Create a new cpu-directly for the M53xx ColdFire family

or

b) Rename the current cpu directory to "mfc5xxx" or something like this

This depends on the similarities of the chips and their internal resources
(UART, interrupt controller, ethernet controller..) of course. Solution b)
would be my preferred way, if it makes sense.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stefan