[U-Boot-Users] Getting Started Porting U-Boot to M5329EVB board

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Thu May 3 14:31:44 CEST 2007

On 3 May 2007 at 14:16, Stefan Roese wrote:

> On Thursday 03 May 2007 13:55, Robert S. Grimes wrote:
> > Yes, I am, and that is where I've started.  I currently have got a
> > simple copy to compile cleanly, but none of the device-specific code has
> > been checked to see if it needs to be modified.
> >
> > Any hints as to where I should start?
>
> start.S is a good point to "start" looking at. ;-)
>
> > For example, I'm guessing the
> > serial port is rather important, right?
>
> Yes it is. No idea if the serial core on your M5329 is identical to the one
> used in the already supported M52x2.
>
> > But do I need the interrupts
> > functioning to enable serial communications?  In other words, is the
> > serial port interrupt-driven?
>
> Normally not. Could be that interrupts are need for timer support (timeout
> handling...).
>
> > I'm guessing I need to find "main",
> > follow the hardware initialization code, and that should point me where
> > I need to go...
>
> Again start.S.
>
> I have to admit that I am not into the ColdFires right now. With addition of
> the M5329 to the current U-Boot ColdFire support, we should either
>
> a) Create a new cpu-directly for the M53xx ColdFire family
>
> or
>
> b) Rename the current cpu directory to "mfc5xxx" or something like this

There are some similarities, but I think there are enough dissimilarities to justify creating a
new subdirectory.
However, there are already three different "trees" for MCF52xx, so this is maybe not too
critical anyways.

Serial ports are identical with different base addresses, but the interrupt controller is only
similar. The ethernet controller is completely different, and this is one of the things I did not
even touch yet.

> This depends on the similarities of the chips and their internal resources
> (UART, interrupt controller, ethernet controller..) of course. Solution b)
> would be my preferred way, if it makes sense.

I already tried creating a port for Cobra5329 (also a small MCF5329 board) and our own
MCF5373 board. The tree, based on "git clone" some days ago, can be found at
http://leila.dyna.ping.de/wolfgang/u-boot-git-mcf53xx.tar.bz2

It is basically untested besides being compile-clean, because I am too busy with some other
things and still have problems accessing the flash. I already sent this link to Bob, but as I am
not too confident in everything being right, I did not want to spread it wide. In case somebody
reading this wants to have a look, feel free to grab the tree and see what might be usable.

> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

Regards,