[U-Boot-Users] Wind River SBC8560 saga continues

Mark Pilant Mark.Pilant at mintera.com
Fri May 4 16:36:00 CEST 2007

Hi Jerry.

> Ok, the good news is that eliminates one of the failure modes.  We
> eliminate enough of them and the real one will be obvious. ;-)  That was
> somewhat of a long shot, so it isn't too surprising that it wasn't the
> fault.

:-)

> I'm not familiar with the 85xx processors, I presume they have BAT
> registers like most 8xxx family.  Is it possible the memory is mapped
> via a BAT and _that_ is set up wrong (cached and/or doesn't have the "G"
> bit set)?  BATs override the TLBs.

I just checked, because I wasn't sure, and according to the Reference
Manual, the e500 core (e.g, the 8560) does not implement the BAT registers.

> Does the TLB have the "G" (Guarded) bit set?  That prevents out-of-order

Yes, the guarded bit is set in .../board/sbc8560/init.S.

> How about hitting it with da big hammer: put a sync;isync pair in the
> loop.  If that makes it better, remove the isync (should not be
> necessary).  If that still works, try using a eieio instead of the sync
> (I'm not sure if eieio is useful for the 85xx, on the 603e core, it is a
> NOP).

I thought I had tried this earlier, but couldn't remember.  So I tried
it again.  No Luck.  (The generated code does the sync/isync before the
register fetch.  If the FLG bit is still set, the sync/isync is done
again and the fetch repeated.)

According to the RM, the e500 replaces eieio with mbar.  Since I had not
tried that one, I just did.  You guessed it... no luck.

I'm probably doing something really stupid; and probably really simple
which is why I haven't spotted *my* problem.

It is also possible the WR SBC8560 we have is broken.  Although I think
that is not a really likely because it runs the VxWorks bootloader fine.

- Mark

This email message and any attachments are confidential and may contain information which is proprietary to Mintera Corporation. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Mintera Corporation immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to postmaster at mintera.com -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Thank you.