[U-Boot-Users] Flash Erase/Write error in uboot

Shiju Mathew mshiju at gmail.com
Sat May 5 04:46:39 CEST 2007

On 5/3/07, Tolunay Orkun <listmember at orkun.us> wrote:

> Shiju Mathew wrote:
> >>>

> >> Does this happen with DEBUG enabled? Did you check with DEBUG disabled?
> >> I noticed that DEBUG distrupts some of the registers used for status
> >> checking...
> >>
> >> If you have to have DEBUG enabled for testing something else please put
> >> #undef DEBUG towards the beginning of cfi_flash.c (after #include etc)
> > Looks likes some other issue. On our Freescale imx31 ADS  board we have
> > connected an extension board(RAM like device) to CS1 through the logical
> > analyser interface. The problem happens when I connect the extension
> > board(even without powering up the extension board). If I remove the
> > extension board the flash erase/writes are successfull.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shiju
> >

> Looks like an hardware/interfacing issue...
>
> I was debugging the problem further. We have two other bootloaders running
on this board - redboot and Eboot. Both does not have this problem. Only on
Uboot I am experiencing this problem. On debugging what I could find is that
when I erase a sector, the function flash_is_busy() returns immidiatly with
success(not busy). Usually it should loop for a while in this function
before returning that the flash is not busy. Before writing to the erased
sector, the "md" command displayed 0xffffffff for the erased sector. But
when I tried to write data to the erased location using cp.b, the function
flash_write_cfiword() returns with error "flash is not erased" since it
failed to find 0xffffffff in the erased locations(Check if Flash is
(sufficiently) erased). So why does "md" displays 0xffffffff for erased
locations and flash routine says it is not 0xffffffff ? Could someone
explain why this difference.

Thanks,
Shiju

--