[U-Boot-Users] GIT merge

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Mon May 7 15:23:14 CEST 2007

Håvard Skinnemoen wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Michal Simek <monstr at seznam.cz> wrote:
>
>> Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
>>

>> I had problem with stat.h file. I resolve merge conflict (with vi) and then
>> I tryied
>> start pull second time but without success.
>
> You shouldn't pull again, you should do what the error message says
> and commit (after updating the index with your change.)
>
>> On website is written "Before you request a pull, make sure there are no
>> merge conflicts with the mainline". OK
>> I change this file in microblaze repository and automatic merge work fine.
>> But I have to add change stat.h to microblaze repository.
>> Does command exist for finding merge conflict?
>
> git status shows "unmerged" files, i.e. files with conflict markers.
>
>> And second thing after automatic merge is added all patches from u-boot
>> mainline. Is it right way? Do you require add only one line with merge
>> www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git or the all patches? (What is the best command?)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. git pull usually does the right thing --
> it pulls in all commits from the remote branch and adds one of its own
> to record the merge.
>
> IMO, if the pull was clean you might as well blow it away using
> git-reset before you request a pull to make the upstream history a bit
> cleaner. But I'm not sure if Wolfgang agrees with this.
>
> Haavard

FWIIW, I've found that, if I am in my custodian repo and in the "to be
pushed" branch if I have a branch going, if I do a pull from the master repo
   git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git
it pulls/merges the changes into my custodian repo (in the currently
active branch) without creating a "merge" log entry.  I have not had any
merge conflicts, but I would expect if there are any, they can be
resolved and committed to the custodian repo.  The custodian repo should
then apply cleanly to the master u-boot repo.

I've found that, if I do a pull in my "master" branch in the custodian
repo, switch to my "to be pushed" branch, and pull from my (now up to
date) "master" branch, it also Does The Right Thing, but creates an
extra (superfluous) merge log.

IMHO, the superfluous merge log should be avoided because it adds noise
with no value.

Best regards,
gvb