[U-Boot-Users] CFG_MONITOR_BASE < CFG_FLASH_BASE

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu May 17 00:11:27 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <464B6DCC.4030203 at freescale.com> you wrote:
>> On a system that has flash, why would we ever support this configuration?  It doesn't even
>> make any sense, because a whole bunch of DDR and LAWBAR setup needs to happen before RAM
>> can even be accessed, so you can't copy u-boot to RAM and reset the system.
>
> Did you read the FAQ? You just wrote another version of "14.2.1. Can
> U-Boot be configured such that it can be started in RAM?"

Yes, I have read it, but it doesn't really answer my question.  I'm not asking if I can
boot from RAM, I'm asking why would someone think it could be done?  If anything, 14.2.1
re-inforces my point: if booting from RAM doesn't make sense, why are so many board header
files configured to enable it?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale