[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Andy Fleming afleming at gmail.com
Tue May 22 23:30:19 CEST 2007

On 5/22/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <46535464.6090206 at freescale.com> you wrote:
> > Doesn't anyone have an answer to this question?
>
> Maybe nobody cares? It's an officially unsupported feature anyway.

I suspect that's why we've not heard any complaints

> > Timur Tabi wrote:
> > > On a lot of boards, if CFG_RAMBOOT is defined, the following code is compiled:
>
> Let's put this straight: it is not "a lot of boards", it's just 16
> boards - less than 5%:
>
> MPC8313ERDB       MPC8360EMDS       MPC8641HPCN       TQM834x
> MPC832XEMDS       MPC8540ADS        PM854             sbc8349
> MPC8349EMDS       MPC8540EVAL       PM856             sbc8560
> MPC8349ITX        MPC8560ADS        SBC8540           stxgp3
>
> If you look closer, you can see that it's only 83xx,  85xx  and  86xx
> systems.  Guess  where  most of the responsible board maintainers are
> sitting? And who the responsible custodians are?

Yeah, we let this slip in to the first 85xx board (It was useful for
bring-up, when we didn't have working Flash support).  And it's fairly
straightforward to see that the config files have just been copied
from the original MPC8540ADS, and modified.

Anyone who wants to eliminate the RAMBOOT stuff has *my* blessing.
It's just way down my priority list for actually doing.

> I suggest you raise the  issue  with  the  board  maintainers  and/or
> custodians. Maybe you simply remove all this broken ramboot support.

Works for me.  Who's got a patch.  ;)

Andy