[U-Boot-Users] Question about CFG_ENV_ADDR during RAMBOOT

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri May 25 07:37:53 CEST 2007

Hi Ulf,

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> >> * compare dataflash to sdram
> >
> > * That would be a two step procedure, like currently used for other
> >  storage devices:
> >
> >  - Copy from dataflash to memory
> >  - compare two memory areas
>
> If I wanted to wear down my fingers by typing a lot of things,
> I would have choosen a career as a COBOL programmer.

We also have board with NAND FLASH only and the number of those boards will
grow in the near future. The NAND command interface of course need a little
more typing, but I always configure a few environment variables to update the
images in the NAND FLASH. Something like:

=> setenv nload 'tftp 200000 board/u-boot.bin'
=> setenv nupdate 'nand erase 0 40000;nand write 200000 0 40000'
=> setenv nupd 'run nload nupdate'

A simple "run nupd" will update the image for me then. Not much typing
involved.

BTW: I do the same with "normal" NOR FLASH images too, so it always boils down
to some env variable commands. And if you have defined those variables in the
default env variables, then all "users" can access them right away.

But I understand that your main concern is the *change* of the dataflash user
interface. Yes, this is a problem and we can't really solve it. But a README
and some env variables might make this change easier for the "users".

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de