[U-Boot-Users] loads command is not working

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue May 29 14:44:23 CEST 2007

Clemens Koller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ksi at koi8.net schrieb:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>>> Just to make the list complete:
>>> Linux Host:
>>> minicom v2.2
>>> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/minicom/
>> Minicom is crap, sorry for an expression...
>
> Technically, it works fine. Propably, some don't
> like the UI, which has a vi like flavour.
> Well... it works for me. YMMV
>
> Greets,
>
> Clemens Koller

The problem is not the interface, the problem is that minicom is
unreliable.  I actually generally use it as the path of least
resistance, but occasionally it messes me up.  I have used cu as well
and should switch, but have not yet.

The typical problem I have with minicom is that the tty port gets messed
up (baud rate, handshake, etc. is wrong) and minicom cannot recover it.
  Minicom will tell you it is changing the port configuration (baud
rate, for instance) and say that the baud rate is what you set it to,
but it really isn't.  As you can imagine, this is very confusing and
frustrating when the board you are connecting to appears to only put out
garbage characters and trying all the common baud rates does not change
anything.  It looks like there is a serious problem with the development
board, but actually it is minicom.

Interestingly, I've never had a problem getting kermit to reset the port
characteristics to a sane setting when this happens, and then minicom
will behave again, for a while.

Best regards,
gvb