[U-Boot-Users] OT: problem with minicom, was: (Re: loads command is not working)

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue May 29 15:47:40 CEST 2007

Clemens Koller wrote:
> Hi, Jerry
>
> Jerry Van Baren schrieb:
>> The typical problem I have with minicom is that the tty port gets
>> messed up (baud rate, handshake, etc. is wrong) and minicom cannot
>> recover it. Minicom will tell you it is changing the port
>> configuration (baud rate, for instance) and say that the baud rate is
>> what you set it to, but it really isn't.
>
> This is a known issue, bug or feature:
> http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=301193&group_id=30018&atid=100031

Hi Clemens,

Not exactly.  The above says "Minicom continues to use the original
value unless you save the setup, then quit and restart minicom."  My
experience is that changing the baud rate on the fly works, but
sometimes the port gets into a funky state and minicom "loses control"
of it.

>> Interestingly, I've never had a problem getting kermit to reset the
>> port characteristics to a sane setting when this happens, and then
>> minicom will behave again, for a while.
>
> If you ran into a problem which is reproducable, please try to fix
> it and/or contact the developers of minicom to get it fixed.
>
> Regards,

Unfortunately, it is not reliably reproducible.  :-(  Pure speculation
is that incoming serial (from powering up the attached development
board) sometimes confuses the port and minicom doesn't use a big enough
hammer to reset it.

Best regards,
gvb